Tuesday, October 6, 2009
It is with my new found sense of gratefulness that I have been attending a Novena for a young man that was killed on September 20th. His family is from the same town my family is from...Chupicuaro,Michoacan(more about Chupi in a future blog entry).
In all seriousness, below is the news clipping for the young man who was killed by a drunk driver:
September 20, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago man is facing multiple charges after a deadly traffic accident on the city's Southwest Side.
Carlos Chavez, 30, of the 1600 block of W. 21st St. was killed after his vehicle collided with a truck at 2200 S. Cermak on Saturday. Authorities say he was pronounced dead at Stein Institute.
According to Chicago police, the driver of the truck, 35-year-old Roberto M. Torres, was arrested and charged Sunday with DUI, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, failure to stop at a solid red signal, reckless homicide and leaving the scene of accident.
4. I am so grateful for everything that I have and even for that that I don’t because maybe I am not meant to have it yet.
5. It has reignited my spirituality
6. It made me more aware of my own mortality and the reality that you are not promised tomorrow
7. It has made me more compassionate
8. It made me realize that I have so much I still want to do and I need to do it NOW!
9. I have so much pride for my culture
10. I have seen the strength that God gives all of us. It was no more apparent than in the parents of Carlos(Dona Olga and Don Blas) this last weekend when the Novena wrapped up.
I know this may seem like a sad blog entry but I hope you take it as a learning blog entry instead. We do not have to experience something first hand to learn from it. Don’t drink and drive!! Don't let friends do it!!