Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Step 3

My third interview was with Michelle Karen Otero. She is writer, teacher, consultant and currently working on opening up a non-for profit in New Mexico. I first met Michelle in a reading of her newest book Malinche’s Daughter.

Hearing her read, share and hearing about her future plans that really called my attention to her. Someone that looks like me living the life I would want to lead-goldmine! I reached out to her, she was so generous with her time and herself, and for that, I am deeply thankful. Start.

Michelle did not know that a career as writer was a possibility for her. She like many people thought if you were not a genius or prodigy you could not be a writer.
She went out of state for undergrad: Harvard

After her 4 year undergraduate career she continued living and learning by traveling to Belize and being a Jesuit volunteer. Among other things, one of the most vivid things that happened was her consciousness that whatever you are going through THAT is not the center of the world. There are bigger things that we sometimes do not see.

Interesting and motivating fact: She started professionally writing in her 30’s.

Are you cautious or fearful when you write?

Earlier in my writing career but not so much now. That is not to say that it is easy because it is not. She reminds herself that there is a difference in writing and publishing.

Are you living your dream?
Yes-
Can get up and go for a walk, do some yoga and get the day started
To be able to teach adults about writing and giving them a voice

Do you have a mentor?
Yes, they never let me get lost in despair. They let me go there but do not let me wallow.

We started talking about the need to be perfect and one of her mentors told her (paraphrased):
The world is pretty mediocre and it is oaky if we are less than excellent.
Also, know that you are GOOD ENOUGH and you do not have to prove anything to me.
I found this information to be healing.

Is there anything that you know now that you wish someone had told you earlier?
ASK for help!! You do not need to do everything yourself

Do you ever feel self-doubt? If so, how do you overcome it?
Yes, by accepting that my insecurities are part of ME. I want to live out of LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment